Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lily is...

Stubborn.
Strong-willed.
Independent.
Three.
Learning.
Incredibly smart for her own good.
Curious.
Stealthy like a ninja.
Mischievous.

This causes mommy to be:

Extremely frustrated.
Crazy.
Stumped.

Tonight, as it goes most nights, Jonny put Lily to bed. She came out of her room, as normal, and Jonny put her back. We didn't hear anything for a while so we assumed she was asleep. Until we heard Hannah crying...and it wasn't on the monitor. She was standing on the stairs. Lily had decided that it would be a good idea to go into hannah's and Kate's room, wake Hannah up, and get her out of bed. Why? No reason. Just because. The more I try to bring order and discipline to our lives, the more she retaliates. I give her positive attention - nothing. I limit the choices she gets to make - she fights back and does whatever she wants anyway. I give her time outs and nose to the wall - worse. I ignore the "bad" things she does - even worse!

It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

Some kids are just more prone to be the trouble-makers. In our family, this is Lily. I hope she's not worse in 10 years.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. It's totally one word in that list...THREE. I've been lamenting to so many friends that the terrible twos should be the terrible threes, and so many seem to agree with me. Also, the part about her being too smart for her own good. She's so much like Gwen it's almost funny. Almost... :P All I can suggest is trying to re-direct her into being that 'older sister' role model. Her intelligence will work for her and not against her there. Encourage her to show the other two how a 'big girl' does things, and praise her for helping out. But it won't eliminate the other stuff either. I don't think there's an easy answer - - at least I haven't found it yet!! - - so I think we just have to get through this stage. It is a stage, I promise! Hugs to you! Know that you are not alone! I wish we lived closer so we could commiserate more. Good luck through this trying time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo Thanks for reminding me of the Fun joys I have to look forward to... lol. :) Good luck and when you figure out the secret to making it all work be sure to post it with a huge title that says Alyssa be sure to read this lol. Talk to you soon! You are a good Mom!

    ReplyDelete